Friday, January 05, 2007

From Sailing Anarchy

Sail On, Son


These are hard things to write and I'm hesitant to even do so, but I felt that many of you may wish to pass along your thoughts. Anarchist Steve Washburn's (Wash) precious 10 year-old son Paul passed away from natural causes suddenly and unexpectedly earlier this week. As a father it is impossible to imagine such a tragedy, and yet Steve and his family are sadly being forced to live it.
Wash has been a friend of mine for 20 years, and a regular and insightful contributor here in the SA forums - who can forget his awesome Key West live play by play reporting? More than that, Steve was a dedicated and loving father who brought his sons into the world of sailing in a way that most of us can only dream. Take a look at their blog - you'll get a feel for the love. It is not often that I feel another's pain, but I do here and am quite saddened by their loss. Life can be so swiftly and unfairly cruel.

It is in situations like this that our community, without fail, always shines so bright. Please take a moment to pass along your condolences to the Washburns.



01/05/07

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
An East Coast Anarchist

EVK4 said...

Wash, I am so sorry for your loss. My most sincere condolences to you and your family. I posted a comment on SA, but feel that I know more about you and your family from your blog and want you to know that my best wishes and prayers are with you.

-Edward

Anonymous said...

My family and I send you our deepest sympathies and keep you in our prayers. I can not imagine your loss but I feel the love you share with your family and through this you will find solace. God bless.

DBD

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I was saddened to read the news on Sailing Anarchy. To lose your son defies any rhyme or reason. I cannot imagine your pain and my heart goes out to you and your family.
You may remember me from the '82 J24 Worlds in Sydney and later that year I spent a few weeks at your place & did Long Beach Race Week.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best Wishes,

Yorky

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell from this blog and from your own words written here that Paul was fortunate to have such a wonderful and inspiring father. I wish you and your family all the strenght in the world to get you through this. Please know that you are in the hearts and prayers of many many people. God bless you.

Sincerely,
Sail_like_a_girl

Anonymous said...

My son was a good friend of Paul's. I am so saddened by your loss that words cannot describe. Please know that we are both praying for you and your family. Paul was such a sweet, kind, incredible kid and he will be sadly missed. Paul and your family will always be in our hearts and prayers.

With much love,

Sherie and Stone

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I had the pleasure of coaching Paul a little bit this summer. The thing I remember most about him was if you would tell him to go out sailing on a windy day he would smile an say OK while all the other kids would be scared. He was such a nice little boy. He was always so polite and respectful to me and all the other coaches. All the sailors liked him because he was so nice to everybody. In the short time I knew him I nevver heard him complain or say a mean word, he was always smiling. Im very sorry for the loss of such a great person. He was such a talented little boy and his attitude the best.

Sincerly,
Alex Vaught

Anonymous said...

After tears and reflection, a smile slowly emerged on my face with the thought of the kind of people in Paul's afterguard whispering sweet nothings in his ear guiding him to the next mark. Godspeed Paul and to the rest of your family.

Kenny B